Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grid Challenge

Here are the completed grid design pieces from our latest challenge.   Shirley, Iris and I each took an 11 x 14 stretched canvas and designed a piece of fabric art, fitting it into the back of the canvas.   The only other rule was that we had to use a grid design.   We came up with totally different pieces.

Shirley's piece is an interesting array of doors.   She used shiva paintstiks and a stencil to decorate the frame.                                          
                                                                                                                              


Iris designed her piece around the four seasons.   I love the striking colours on the black background.


I already posted my piece but I'll include it here as well.  The grid is in the background - eight fabric rectangles surrounding a photo of a favourite pathway.   I used lutrador painted with inks and caran d'ache watercolour crayons for the appliqued trees in the foreground and added highlights with shiva paintstiks to indicate the sun shining through the trees.
Aren't they all great examples of using a grid design!   This was quite a challenge to complete -  a grid design was never my favourite.  Interestingly it has given me ideas for more.

As I mentioned before, our next challenge is a tryptych - each of us will complete 1/3 of the pattern designed by Shirley.  Can't wait to see the results.

In  my next post I'll show you my completed piece called  "Flower Power Revisited".   This one took me in another totally different direction.

And I'm finally starting my commissioned piece with a Mexican theme.  I purchased some Robert Kaufman solids (beautiful shades of Kona cotton) and am planning it in a folk art style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.