|Bonsai in the Bog|
It is only 4" x 6" but took many hours of hand stitching to complete. Then I added a thin batting with extra behind the tree. I added backing fabric and stitched around the tree shape and in between some of the foliage of the tree to give a 3D effect. I added a mat and will frame it. Below is the original photo inspiration.
In spite of the intense heat and humidity of the past two weeks (I don't have AC) I managed a little machine work in the early mornings. I am stitching another swamp with strips of fabric but this one will have waterlilies in it. Here is the background all stitched up. Now to add some hand cut foliage and small waterlilies and lily pads. I like it to look abstract with just a bit of reality thrown in. I used straight and zigzag stitching for most of it but did add some adjusted honeycomb stitches (elongated to look like lily pads) here and there. When I am finished I will post the photo inspiration as well. You'll be able to see why I used the strip method for the scene.
|I'll be adding a touch of reality with foliage, water lilies and lily pads|
The combination of sun and rain is really helping my somewhat neglected garden. Here are a couple of brilliant day lilies that bloomed last week.
I spent the week seeking refuge in air conditioned surroundings. I hit the library, the shops, the pubs and ended the week with a coffee shop, art store and fabric paint demo at Wabi Sabi by a member of my Out of the Box group. The paints are Stewart Gill and they keep a soft hand so you can easily hand stitch through them. Needless to say, I purchased a varied selection of paints and will be experimenting with them in the weeks to come.
Finally today we have very cool temperatures and I love it!!!
I'm linking this post to Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesdays to celebrate their 100th post!!