Sunday, July 21, 2013

Embroidery - The Bog - Cape Breton Island

Bonsai in the Bog

A few years ago I took a photo of a bonsai-like tree in the middle of a bog in Cape Breton Island.  Last year, I noticed that small tree had all but disappeared - maybe due to dry weather or munched on by moose who regularly frequent the bog.   I decided I needed to record its passing with a piece of embroidery.  I had planned for it to be only bog - no sky - but in the end decided to add a little sliver of blue as a contrast (I know, I didn't follow the 'thirds' rule).

It is only 4" x 6" but took many hours of hand stitching to complete.   Then I added a thin batting with extra behind the tree.  I added backing fabric and stitched around the tree shape and in between some of the foliage of the tree to give a 3D effect.  I added a mat and will frame it.  Below is the original photo inspiration.

Bog photo

In spite of the intense heat and humidity of the past two weeks (I don't have AC) I managed a little machine work in the early mornings.   I am stitching another swamp with strips of fabric but this one will have waterlilies in it.   Here is the background all stitched up.  Now to add some hand cut foliage and small waterlilies and lily pads.  I like it to look abstract with just a bit of reality thrown in.   I used straight and zigzag stitching for most of it but did add some adjusted honeycomb stitches (elongated to look like lily pads) here and there.  When I am finished I will post the photo inspiration as well.  You'll be able to see why I used the strip method for the scene. 

I'll be adding a touch of reality with foliage, water lilies and lily pads

The combination of sun and rain is really helping my somewhat neglected garden.  Here are a couple of brilliant day lilies that bloomed last week.




I spent the week seeking refuge in air conditioned surroundings.  I hit the library, the shops, the pubs and ended the week with a coffee shop, art store and fabric paint demo at Wabi Sabi by a member of my Out of the Box group.   The paints are Stewart Gill and they keep a soft hand so you can easily hand stitch through them.  Needless to say, I purchased a varied selection of paints and will be experimenting with them in the weeks to come.

Finally today we have very cool temperatures and I love it!!!

I'm linking this post to  Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesdays to celebrate their 100th post!!

3 comments:

  1. Do you give classes? I would really take one if I lived closer. Such beautiful stitching on that bog, by hand? What kind of stitches? I really love your work! Threads turned into paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! incredible stitching in such a small area! I would like to invite you to link up to my Off the Wall Friday running on my blog every week - where Art quilters are sharing their creative endeavors for the week. We find it a great way to connect!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.