Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Prairie Sky Wallhanging - A Work in Progress

Ever since I first heard Jody Benjamin's song about the prairies called Infinite Blue, I have been visualizing a panoramic piece with rolling hills, prairie fields and lots of sky.    In the cold of January I decided to give it a go.    I started by painting my sky on a piece of satin with caran d'ache crayons and water.  It took a couple of tries before I got the sky I was looking for.   Then, rather than fuse all the layers (which would have made hand-stitching a bit of a chore)  I just tacked them down with fabric glue and bits of fusible here and there.   I started at the top and worked my way down, cutting, placing, discarding, starting over, till I had the right combination of colours, textures, patterns and plains (no pun intended).   The strip at the bottom was rather serendipidous when I accidentally placed it across the quilt and saw that it gave the piece the panoramic look I was after.   I am still working on stitching the pieces together.  I think I will finish it pillow case style with no binding.    Lately I seem to be drawn to long narrow shapes - both horizontal and vertical.     And I am still working on my mosaic piece - many little squares.

1 comment:

  1. This is really beautiful. Your painted sky is amazing and looks so realistic. Great depth in your landscaped hills and valleys. Long horizontal pieces create a soothing and calm feeling. I just love it. You got a winner here.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.