Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Tree is Life

A  few posts ago, I described the process of creating this tree as part of a challenge to design a piece using a grid composition.   When I came to the step where I needed to cut the piece into rectangles and re-assemble it, I just couldn't do it.  I loved the tree the way it was.   The theme was supposed to be 'What is a Tree' and I would use a combination of parts of this tree and fabric photos all placed inside the back of a stretched canvas for the completed piece.    Well, forget all that.    Here is my completed piece.  I call it "A Tree is Life".    Please note, there is no grid composition.




 There is probably something very deep and philosophical about this whole exercise.   But it just makes me laugh at myself and think that the artist is not always in control of the art.   We don't always end up where we planned (just like life?).   Instinct sometimes takes over from intent.   Or we get sidetracked.   In this case maybe my original plan was just not workable!  Here the fabric and colour (and the original photo) took me in a different direction.    I thought you might like to see the photo that was the inspiration for this artwork.   It was taken in Quebec in the Eastern Townships on a hiking trip.

In my next post, I will show you my second try at using a grid composition (sort of).  It also has a tree theme - none of  which are cut into pieces - well, not exactly......

1 comment:

  1. This turned out so well. It makes me want to reach out and touch the sky. Your artist insight is right on, too.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.