Thursday, November 17, 2011

Another Landscape - Berry picking in the Gatineau Hills


I am close to completing my berry picking piece.   Here is a sneak preview of parts of the quilt.  I'm not ready to reveal the whole piece yet.   This is one piece I will be exhibiting at the Textile Museum in Almonte Ontario next summer.     It was inspired by a photo of my son and I in the Gatineau Hills which his father snapped while  I was showing my son some hidden blueberries amongst the long grasses.   Later that afternoon we saw a bear on the hill but in my piece the mamma bear and her cub are watching us as we threaten to take away their dinner ( all this happened many moons ago - note the hippy peasant blouse).   My oldest son is now 38.     I used pale fabrics and tulle to make the sky and hills appear more misty in the distance.   Closer up the visibility increases and I used stronger colours.    In the foreground I hand stitched grasses, fused and stitched tiny leaves on the trees, and used seed beads for the blueberries.   I need to decide whether to finish it as a quilt or not.   Except for the sky, I don't think it needs quilting.   I may attach the finished piece to a stretched canvas and set it in a floating frame.    This is the difficult part for me.     But I am happy with the way it turned out so far.  I am still thinking of a name for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.