Monday, November 7, 2011

stitched watercolour landscapes

Here is another of my stitched watercolour pieces.   It is a scene from Ingonish Ferry,  Cape Breton, NS.   First I paint with Caran Dache watercolour crayons and pencils onto fabric then I use tiny stitches to quilt through 3 thin layers.  I finish by adding a matt and frame.   This piece is 4" x 6" matted to 5 x 7.    They are great to do when I need a break from the larger pieces.   Another way to relax from the bigger pieces -  I've been using fusible to create more landscape bookmarks which my friends are buying almost as fast as I can make them.  I also have a line of art cards using fusible and fabric.   I'll try to get these items into my blog gallery for sale sometime soon.

I am almost finished my blueberry picking piece set in the Gatineau Hills.   Taken from a photo of myself and my son over 30 years ago on a hill near Champlain Lookout, we were sampling a few blueberries when we saw a bear in the distance doing the same thing.  I have taken liberties with my interpretation.   This piece is destined for an exhibit in the summer but I will give a sneak preview of parts of it once it is completed.  I have worn my fingertips raw with the thousands of stitches ( I hate using thimbles) but I am pleased with the results.  Re: not using thimbles, I have found that there is a moldable tape sold by Lee Valley in Canada that works well because it is softer and more pliable than a regular thimble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.