Sunday, March 7, 2010

Shirley's Japanese Wallhanging

As promised, here is a photo of a Japanese Wallhanging created by my friend and quilting buddy, Shirley Santos-Pedro. 

Here is how Shirley describes her quilt.
"It is called 'Torii Gates in Ueno Park, Tokyo'.  The dimensions are 36" x 48".  It was started in February 2009 as part of a class for Art Quilting taught by Elaine Quehl.  The indigo fabric was bought in Japan and the pieces were parts of old work clothes.  In some cases you can see where pockets and seams were in the original clothing.  Details were filled in by using sashiko thread in just plain straight stitches.  I did not have a photo to make the pattern so it came out of my head.  I've enjoyed recreating a scene that I enjoyed in Tokyo of a series of gates going down into a ravine where a small shrine was located.  I would never have found this by myself but I was accompanied by an English speaking tour guiide who showed me many of the secret places in this very large city park."

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful....And orange is my least favorite color. But it works so well and really shows me what I missed in my perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I enjoy hearing your comments.